Sunday, 6 July 2014

Ashley's Journey with Placenta Accreta and Placenta Previa

Tummy time. 
I found out i was 3 weeks pregnant on june 8th, and everything was going perfect. My husband and I were so excited to be pregnant with number 2. Then at 13 weeks I started bleeding heavily out of nowhere so we went to the emergency room. They didn't do anything except tell me that I might have a UTI, to drink lots of water and put me on a 15 lb weight restriction.

Then my OB called me the next day to come in for an ultrasound. they found I had a complete anterior previa and told me I didn't have much chance of it moving and told me to be prepared to have a c-section. I had another ultrasound at 17 weeks with zero movement and that is when they told me I might have Accreta.

I had no idea what that was at the time and even what they were telling me. It didn't sink in how life threatening it was. So they wanted to schedule me for an MRI right after my ultrasound at 20 weeks. At my 20 week ultrasound we found out we were having another baby girl, and found out that there was a very high possibility of Accreta. They said there would be no certainty until delivery.

Then at 22 weeks I had my second heavy bleed and went back to the E.R. This time they took me up to Labour and delivery and I was monitored for 3 days until the bleeding stopped, then they had me start coming in twice a week with an ultrasound every two weeks with no movement at all on the previa.

At 27 weeks I had a mild bleed this time they didn't admit me just told me to take it easy and just kept my the appointments with no change. Then at 32 weeks I had my worst bleed yet and they helicoptered me to a different state to a better hospital. At that point I ended up getting 4 transfusions and was admitted to the hospital with my husband and oldest at home. I was told I would be there until I delivered.

While I was there they found out I had a calcified placenta as well. Where my placenta literally hardened at the size of 20 weeks pregnant but matured like I was 6 weeks past due date. Over the next 3 weeks I was monitored closely and they found she wasn’t growing. She had only gained 2oz in 3 weeks.

So the decision was made to deliver her at 35 weeks 3 days.

During surgery they gave me a spinal tap and I ended up losing another 3 liters of blood, having the Accreta, and ended up with more transfusions, 7 units of blood. They had to do a partial hysterectomy. My baby girl was 4 lbs 3 oz and 16 inches long.

No comments:

Post a Comment